For my job, I have used FrontPage, Microsoft Expressions Web, and dotNetNuke for creating, editing, and maintaining websites. So far, I find WordPress to be much more manageable than any of these. DotNetNuke is an open source content management system, but I find it to be rather frustrating. For example, when I try to copy a page or create a new page based on an existing one, it doesn't work. It copies the content and not the formatting. Or it copies part of the formatting and not all. When this has happened, I've called our IT department and gotten the response "Well, it's open-source." It really bothers me when you say you offer a service or the capability, but it doesn't actually work. From what I've experienced so far, WordPress is much more intuitive and user-friendly. I still find myself scanning the page trying to figure out which buttons to press or links to click, but, overall, the learning curve is not that steep. I also think that having this project be a collaborative one helps the learning process. Usually with a new software you get a manual, an FAQ page, or a tutorial. WordPress has tutorials and help pages that have been a good resource. But, being able to talk things out with my teammates to learn what has and hasn't worked for them has been extremely helpful. Among us, we speak the same language. There isn't a techie wondering why we don't understand something that seems perfectly natural to him/her. I can see myself using something like WordPress in the future, even if I'm not exactly sure for what yet.
14 years ago

Hooray! We managed the management system.
ReplyDeleteHa! Did you see I changed the description of our site?
ReplyDelete